PH That Makes You – Your Best Version
You may have twitched your eyes every time you came across the term pH balance in various health articles, but do you really know what it’s all about? pH stands for “potential of hydrogen”. A lot of factors influence the pH balance in your bodies such as excess or lack of acid in your blood or the ability of your organs to filter carbon dioxide from your body. Whatever the reason may be, striking the right pH balance is a complex process but can be regulated with a healthy lifestyle.
Most of us have never thought or considered the acid/alkaline balance of our blood, but the right pH balance plays a vital role in maintaining a healthy body. Experts claim that a body with the right pH balance keeps diseases and disorders at bay.
You must be wondering what exactly do we call the right balance?
Let me make it simple for you. The pH range can go between 1-14, where 1 is considered as highly acidic and 14 is highly alkaline. When the pH is 7.0 we call it neutral, so any number below 7 is within an acidic range and above 7 is within an alkaline range. Since pH levels fluctuate throughout the day due to environmental and the food factors, one must take proper care to keep the level stable and within the range.
Is Your Body Too Acidic?
There are two ways to check whether your body is too acidic. You can go by the day to day symptoms in your body, or you can do a simple at-home test. You can test your pH by purchasing strips at your local health foods store or pharmacy. You can measure your pH with saliva or urine. Your second urination of the morning will give you the best results. You compare the colors on your test strip to a chart that comes with your test strip kit. During the day, the best time to test your pH is one hour before a meal and two hours after a meal. If you test with your saliva, you want to try to stay between 6.8 and 7.2.
Symptoms, effects and causes of an acidic body
|Sr.No.||Symptoms & effects||Causes|
|1||Constant fatigue||Alcohol and drugs|
|2||Easily running out of breath||Overuse of antibiotics|
|3||Frequent sighing||Chronic stress|
|4||muscle pain and cramps||Excess use of computers, cell phones and microwaves creating radiation|
|5||Falling out of breath||Lack of exercise|
|6||Allergies, asthma and congestion||Pollution|
|7||Frequent cold||poor chewing and eating habits|
|8||Inflammation||Processed and refined foods|
Tips to achieve a Proper pH?
Achieving and maintaining the perfect pH level in your body is vital to your health. Maintaining an alkaline state of your body is a must.
What is the Alkaline Diet?
An alkaline diet also called the acid-ash diet is one that helps balance the pH level of the fluids in your body, including your blood and urine. Your pH is partially determined by the mineral density of the foods you eat. An alkaline environment within the body helps weight loss efforts, increases energy, and can boost the immune system. So if you eat foods with acidic ash, it makes your body acidic. If you eat foods with alkaline ash, it makes your body alkaline. By choosing more alkaline foods, you should be able to “alkalize” your diet and improve health.
There are many ways to ensure to keep the pH balance within the range.
- Start your day with juice of half a lemon squeezed in a glass of warm water (citrus fruits seem acidic but are actually very alkaline)
- Eat lots of Power-food like fruits and vegetables as they contain potassium, which is a natural buffer to acidity.
- Make sure that 80 percent of your diet includes alkaline foods like Fruits, mushrooms, vegetables, especially Spinach, dates, citrus fruits, raisins Also, Increase your intake of raw foods, and try juicing or lightly steaming fruits and vegetables as they are said to be biogenic or life-giving. Try Green drinks- Drinks made from green vegetables and grasses in powder form are loaded with alkaline-forming foods and chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is structurally similar to our own blood and alkalizes the blood.
- Chew your food as much as you can as Saliva is alkaline and you can produce two gallons a day!
- Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water as it can alone make a lot of difference.
- Avoid Caffeine, Sugar and Alcohol.
While I’ve well explained the power of food to include in your daily diet for increasing the alkaline in your body let’s now go through the list of Acidic-foods.
- Cold cuts, beef, chicken and pork
- Cornflakes and oats
- Peanuts & walnuts
- Pasta & Rice
- White bread
- Whole Wheat
Certain food groups are considered acidic, alkaline or neutral:
- Acidic: Meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs, grains, and alcohol.
- Neutral: Natural fats, starches, and sugars.
- Alkaline: Fruits, nuts, legumes and vegetables.
Thus, some foods on this list, like eggs and walnuts, might be acidic in your body, but don’t let that scare you away from eating them. They contain a host of health benefits like antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. A balanced diet is what regulates pH Levels in the Body.
About The Author
I feel losing weight and looking after your body is the highest form of self-love. Feeling passionate about helping individuals achieve their best version, I conceptualized TAF – a place where one can lose weight in a happier and healthier way. I have been sharing my views on holistic programs for weight loss and ‘Good Food Good Nutrition’for over 18 years, Each time, I help someone reach their best version... it makes me feel fulfilled towards my purpose in life.