The Link Between Stress and Weight Gain
Have you ever found yourself eating mindlessly while furiously trying to make a work deadline or dealing with a personal issue? Are you a busy mom eating in your car as you transfer kids back and forth? Or a business owner working on a deal? If you have been in any of these or similar scenarios, you’re not alone and it’s probably not your fault. Stress for a prolonged period has been linked to biochemical changes that can trigger cravings and lead to obesity. It can increase our appetite, make us hold onto fat, and impede with your execution towards a healthy lifestyle.
Understand the Connection Between Stress and Weight Gain!
There is significant research which indicates a connection between anxiety and obesity. While obesity may not directly cause anxiety, some evidence suggests that it can contribute to stress because it throws off a person’s hormones, which can contribute to behaviors which cause stress. Below are a few ways discussed in detail in which anxiety contribute to weight gain:
- Increased cortisol levels, as a result of anxiety, cause fat to build up in the stomach and leads to an increase in weight.
- Changes in digestion occur in those who are anxious and can lead to weight gain.
- Stress can cause tiredness and lack of energy, which causes an individual to be less active. Without regular movement, the body is unable to burn calories causing weight gain.
- Many individuals experiencing an increased level of anxiety turn to food for comfort. This is an unhealthy method of coping with stress and if occurs regularly can result in weight gain.
Remember: The longer that a person experiences stress and anxiety, the more weight he or she can potentially gain.
Stress and Weight Management
- Sleep: Stress causes us to stay awake, and lack of sleep causes stress, a vicious cycle. Make sure you get sufficient hours of sleep to avoid stress.
- Exercise: Exercise is a great way to reduce stress. It lowers the cortisol and releases endorphins and other chemicals to boost your mood.
- Mindfulness: When you’re mindful, you carefully observe your thoughts and feelings without judging them. Living mindfully can help you clear your mind, make you aware of what you’re feeling and curb cravings.
- Do rewarding activities unrelated to food: Activities such as hiking, reading a book, yoga, massage or making time for friends and family can help relieve stress without adding those extra pounds.
- Weight loss program: When an individual is struggling with an anxiety disorder, both stress and obesity need to be addressed and properly treated. Many individuals have found holistic weight loss programs such as TAF Transformation to be extremely beneficial at helping them adopt healthy behaviours and lifestyle changes that will lead to weight loss and a healthier lifestyle.
Combat Stress With TAF Rejuvenate
TAF Wellness offers TAF Rejuvenate program which begins from ascertaining your stress score based on your stress level and counters the problem with a combination of yogic breathing, chakra balancing meditation, and ayurvedic stress control therapies. We also put you on the appropriate nutrition program for stress control. Subject to this program, your body starts releasing healthy hormones such as endorphins and serotonin that negate the effects of cortisol (the hormone responsible for fat accumulation) The counseling helps you to overcome emotional challenges and focus on improving your well being.
Start Your Wellness Journey Today!
About The Author
I feel losing weight and looking after your body is the highest form of self-love. Feeling passionate about helping individuals achieve their best version, I conceptualized TAF – a place where one can lose weight in a happier and healthier way. I have been sharing my views on holistic programs for weight loss and ‘Good Food Good Nutrition’for over 18 years, Each time, I help someone reach their best version... it makes me feel fulfilled towards my purpose in life.